I have been on the search for healthier, heartier salads for a few reasons. Firstly, in welcoming Ramadan, I find it best if I break my fast with healthy, hearty filling meals that won’t make me pant and sweat afterwards as if I had just run a marathon. Second, winter is the time of year where you can indulge and store foods for hibernation. During summer, I want to feel light and energized.
This recipe is actually an award winner, and comes from my good friend (hi Miranda!) where her colleague won ‘best salad’ in her workplace for this recipe. I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of fruits in salads but this one is not half bad. And its super easy to make as well. Feel free to substitute the mango for your favourite salad-fruit. The results will still be dee-licious.
- 2 ripe firm mangoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped nuts
For the Vinaigrette:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a salad bowl and mix. Add crumbled feta on top
- Whisk together vinaigrette and pour on top of the salad. Mix.
- Chill for a minimum of 1 hour in the fridge for optimal results. Enjoy!